Michael T. Bennett was elected to the Goleta City Council in 2006, reelected in 2010 and 2014. He served as Mayor in 2013 and 2008.
Meetings with Councilmember Bennett are available upon request. Please click here to contact him.
Councilmember Bennett sits on the following City committees:
- Economic Development and Revitalization Standing Committee
- Ordinance Review Standing Committee
- Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Standing Committee
- City Hall Facilities Standing Committee
- Goleta Beach Park Standing Committee
- Town and Gown Standing Committee
- Fire Station Development Ad Hoc Committee
- Library Ad Hoc Committee
- Revenue Neutrality Ad Hoc Agreement Committee
- Santa Barbara Airport Support Property Development Review Committee
He also serves as the City’s representative to the following organizations:
- Community Action Commission Board
- Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District Board
- Santa Barbara Airport Commission
- Santa Barbara County Association of Governments
Bennett serves on the Board of Directors of the Housing Trust Fund of Santa Barbara County. He has been a member of the Rotary Club of Goleta Noontime since 1990 and served as the President in 1996-97. He has been honored with the Paul Harris Fellow award for his service to the community. He has been a member of the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce since 1990, and was named Goleta’s Man of the Year in 2006.
Councilmember Bennett has also been active with the League of California Cities, serving as President of the Channel Counties Division. He has also participated on the League’s Public Safety Policy Committee and Employee Relations Policy Committee.
Bennett is a long-time resident of Goleta, has two adult children and two grand-children. He retired from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department as a Fire Battalion Chief after 36 years of service to the community.