Schwan Self-Storage Revised Project
10 South Kellogg, Goleta
Case No. 17-055-DP RV
September 8, 2017
Tom Schwan on behalf of Schwan Brothers Properties, LLC has requested approval of revisions to the approved Schwan Self-Storage Project. The description of the proposed project changes and location are provided below. The City has completed an Addendum to the Schwan Self-Storage Mitigated Negative Declaration for this Revised Project.
The property currently contains a 4,400-square foot, two-story warehouse/office, an 875-square foot garage, and a 1,750-square foot carport. A project to demolish all the existing structures and the construction of a self-storage facility comprised of three separate, 3-story buildings with a total of 685 drive-up and interior storage units with office space and a manager’s unit was approved in 2011. The project was approved pursuant to a Development Plan (07-229-DP) with setback modifications. In October 2016, the Planning Commission granted a one-year extension for this project. During the ensuing time period, the applicant has been working on complying with the conditions of approval granted in Planning Commission Resolution 11-19. In the course of this work, the applicant learned that Union Pacific Railroad (UPR) would no longer guarantee the use of the lease area for long term use. This area was integral to the provision of required emergency access to the buildings. Based on this information, the applicant has chosen to revise the project. The proposed Revised Project includes the following elements:
- Remove the UPR lease area (7,433 square feet) as UPR would no longer guarantee the use of the easement area for long term use. The Revised Project area is now 89,734 square feet (2.06 acres).
- Narrow the width of proposed buildings B and C by decreasing footprint by 10 feet on the southern side so that the fire access and landscaping would be located on the parcel owned by the applicant and would not use any portion of the UPR lease area.
- Add basements to all three buildings (A, B, and C), resulting in an increase in overall square footage from 110,600 square feet (gross) to 135,741 square feet (gross) (an increase of 25,141 sq. ft.). Individual building increase are provided below in Table 1.
- Remove manager's care taker unit and convert area to additional storage units.
- Increase the number of storage units from 685 to 863 units.
- Additional export of approximately 11,415 cubic yards.
The Project site is located at 10 South Kellogg Avenue. The parcel is located at the north end of South Kellogg Avenue between the 101 Freeway and the Union Pacific Railroad in the City of Goleta (City). The project site is also identified as Assessor’s Parcel No. (APN) 071-090-082. The property encompasses a total of 2.06 acres.
The Planning Commission of the City of Goleta will conduct a public hearing to consider the adequacy of the Addendum and the merits of the proposed Revised Project on Monday, September 18, 2017 at 6:00 pm. The hearing will be held in the Goleta City Council Chambers located at130 Cremona Drive, Suite B, Goleta CA 93117.
Comments on the Addendum and questions regarding the project and/or review process can be directed to Joe Pearson II, Associate Planner at Jpearson@cityofgoleta.org. Mr. Pearson may be reached at 805-961-7543.
- Notice of Adoption of Addendum to Final Mitigated Negative Declaration and Notice of Planning Commission Hearing
- Addendum to Schwan Self-Storage Project Mitigated Negative Declaration
oAppendix A - Schwan Self-Storage Project Final MND (October 14, 2011)
o Appendix B - Schwan Self-Storage Project - Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Assessment Memorandum (Dudek June 29, 2017)
o Appendix C - Schwan Self-Storage CalEEMod Report (CalEEMod.2016.3.1)
o Appendix D - Trip Generation Comparison and Evaluation of Proposed Soil Export Truck Route for the Schwan Self-Storage Project (ATE July 17, 2017)