Goleta Valley Library's Reading Corner - March 2019
Subscribe here to the Library's monthly e-newsletter, The Reading Corner! Below is the March 2019 issue. Happy reading!
We hope you are enjoying our monthly newsletter! I love being able to share all the wonderful things happening at our Library with all of our patrons. We hope you will check out our website, www.GoletaValleyLibrary.org, which has lots of great information and resources. We are in the process of giving it a new look, so be sure to check back soon to see the redesigned website.
Stay up-to-date on what’s happening at the Library by following us on Facebook page (@GoletaValley Library)! We post daily about programs, books, websites, and more.
B. Allison Gray
Goleta Valley Library Director
Book to Action
Between now and mid-June, the Goleta Valley Library has a number of activities centered around the fascinating book “Ocean Country” by Liz Cunningham. The author was an avid surfer who was temporarily paralyzed in a surfing accident. This led to constant illness and depression. In order to cope, Ms. Cunningham decided to travel the world, finding out what different communities were doing to combat ocean pollution. This very hopeful book will be the center of our Book to Action program, sponsored by the California Center for the Book. The Library is giving away free copies of the book and hosting the following activities:
- Book Discussion: Wednesday, March 20, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Beach-Inspired Wreath Craft for Adults: Saturday, March 23, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. (Registration required, sign up at the Library or call 805-964-7878.)
- SPEAKER EVENT! Saturday, April 6, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. OCEAN COUNTRY author Liz Cunningham visits the Goleta Valley Library and gives an entertaining presentation about her book.
- Under the Sea Craft Event: Saturday, April 13, 2:30 - 4:00 p.m. Drop-in craft event for kids under the age of 12. Make shark hats, paper bag seals, whale photo frames and more!
- Undersea Photography Presentation: Sunday, April 14, 2:00 -3:00 p.m. Local photographer Richard Salas shares his amazing pictures of the world’s oceans and their animals – excellent for the whole family!
- Photographs by Richard Salas will be on display in the Library during the month of April.
- Volunteer Fair: Saturday, May 18, 10:00 a.m. – Noon Find out about volunteer opportunities with our local environmental organizations who will have representatives present to answer your questions.
- Ocean Art for Adults Who Don’t Paint: Saturday, June 1, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Afraid to paint? Don’t Be! Learn to make a beautiful ocean-inspired painting the quick and easy way.
- Family Beach Clean-Up Day at Haskell’s Beach: Saturday, June 8, 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Celebrate World Ocean Day and volunteer to help clean up the beach in the spirit of OCEAN COUNTRY. All supplies provided.
California Center for the Book is a program of the California Library Association, supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.
We Need Tutors!
The Goleta Valley Library is looking for Seniors who are interested in helping kids in Kindergarten through Fifth grade with their homework. Help is needed beginning in April on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. Library staff will be in the programming room to support you and you will receive training for an online database. The online database has live tutors that are available for when those troublesome homework topics come up in which both you and your student need help. You will not only be helping with homework, but also serving as a mentor for kids in our area. If interested, please contact Branch Supervisor Brent Field at 805-964-7878. We need you!
Monthly Mystery Book Discussion Club
Love mysteries? Love to talk about books? We have the club for you! Join Branch Supervisor Brent Field in his monthly Mystery Book Discussion. The next one is on Tuesday, March 26 at 5:30 p.m., to discuss Gods and Beasts (2015) by Denise Mina, a police procedural featuring Glaswegian Detective Sergeant Alexandra Morrow.
Join us at the Goleta Valley Library for a bilingual storytime now offered on Tuesday afternoons at 4:00 p.m.! Listen to exciting stories in English and Spanish and enjoy fun songs and rhymes. Our bilingual storyteller will engage children of all ages.
Does Anyone Remember the Re-Barcoding Project Last Spring?
The Goleta Valley Library will be taking over management of the Buellton and Solvang Libraries on July 1. As you may remember from last year when we went through this process ourselves, their collections need to be re-barcoded. Our wonderful, amazing Goleta volunteers re-barcoded our collection of 78,000 items in record time. Fortunately, Solvang’s and Buellton’s collections are much smaller but they need to be re-barcoded before July. If you are interested in helping, please let Allison Gray know at 805-562-5502 or firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s sure to be as much fun as last year, plus, maybe we can use it as an excuse to make a stop at one of the bakeries as a reward for our altruism…