The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council to act as the City's general counsel. As the City's general counsel, the City Attorney provides a full range of legal services to the City and manages outside special counsel. Among other things, the City Attorney is the chief legal advisor to the City Council, City Manager, all City departments, and all appointed boards and commissions. In addition, the City Attorney litigates both civil and criminal cases on the City's behalf.
The City Attorney's office does not provide private legal advice to citizens nor does it ordinarily prosecute violations of the California Penal Code, California Vehicle Code, or other violations of State law. If you are seeking legal representation, links to referral services can be found by clicking on the link below. If you wish to report a violation of State law, you should contact the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department or Santa Barbara County District Attorney's office.
Links & Resources:
- Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
- California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)
- California Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair (BEAR)
- California Contractors State License Board (CSLB)
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Privacy Rights Clearing House
- Federal Trade Commission
Other Legal Resources...