The most recent City of Goleta COVID-19 information is available at The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department Public Information Portal can be found at

Short-Term Vacation Rentals

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

On February 17, 2015, the Goleta City Council adopted an ordinance designed to regulate short-term vacation rental properties.  This ordinance went into effect on July 1, 2015.

The ordinance requires property owners of a dwelling unit operated and used as a short-term vacation rental to apply for and obtain a Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit.

“Short-term vacation rental” means a dwelling unit other than a dwelling unit located in a hotel, as those terms are defined in this Code, that is rented to a tenant for a period of not more than 30 consecutive days. (Municipal Code 5.08.020).

If you do not operate a short-term vacation rental, you may still be subject to City of Goleta Transient Occupancy Taxes and Business license Fees.  Click here for a clarification of what taxes and/or fees you are still responsible for (revised 1/2018).

To apply for a Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit, download the following forms and documents. Follow the Filing Instructions and submit the necessary forms and fees. 

Filing Instructions

Required Documents

Goleta Municipal Code

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

           FAQs TOT & TBID Tax 

Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Monthly Return

How to Report Short-term Vacation Rental Nuisances:  

The primary purpose for this permit is to minimize public nuisance conditions often associated with short-term vacation rentals.  A Nuisance Response Plan provided by the vacation rental owner(s) is posted on our website (see below) that provides a contact name and number should short-term renters impact the neighborhood with nuisance activities, such as loud afterhours parties or noise, disruptive behavior, illegal parking, excessive and/or overflowing trash, or any activity that disrupts the neighborhood peace.  Continued unacceptable behavior should be reported to the City and is subject to citation and fines.

The Nuisance Response Plan is not intended to be used for frivolous, unsubstantiated complaints.  Common sense should be exercised in the case of matters that are best attended to by the Police Department or City Code Enforcement Officers.

Registered Nuisance Response Plans

Each owner, and each tenant or occupant of a short-term vacation rental, shall at all times comply with or cause compliance with the performance standards applicable to short-term vacation rentals they own, lease or occupy, as established by Section 5.08.090 of the Goleta Municipal Code.

For more information about the Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit requirement, please refer to Municipal Code Chapter 5.08 or contact the Finance Department at (805) 961-7500.

To report a potential violation to this Municipal Code, please submit a request through the City Assist program.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer