One of the grants the Goleta Valley Library received is the Book to Action grant, sponsored by the California Center for the Book. The Library is preparing a number of programs around Liz Cunningham’s book, “Ocean Country.” The author was an avid surfer who was temporarily paralyzed in a surfing accident. This led to constant illness and depression. In order to cope, Ms. Cunningham decided to travel the world, finding out what different communities were doing to combat ocean pollution. The Library is giving away free copies of the book and hosting the following activities between now and mid-June:
- Book Discussion: Wednesday, March 20, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Beach-Inspired Wreath Craft for Adults: Saturday, March 23, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. (Registration required, sign up at the Library or call 805-964-7878.)
- SPEAKER EVENT! Saturday, April 6, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. OCEAN COUNTRY author Liz Cunningham visits the Goleta Valley Library and gives an entertaining presentation about her book.
- Under the Sea Craft Event: Saturday, April 13, 2:30 - 4:00 p.m. Drop-in craft event for kids under the age of 12. Make shark hats, paper bag seals, whale photo frames and more!
- Undersea Photography Presentation: Sunday, April 14, 2:00 -3:00 p.m. Local photographer Richard Salas shares his amazing pictures of the world’s oceans and their animals – excellent for the whole family!
- Photographs by Richard Salas will be on display in the Library during the month of April.
- Volunteer Fair: Saturday, May 18, 10:00 a.m. – Noon Find out about volunteer opportunities with our local environmental organizations who will have representatives present to answer your questions.
- Ocean Art for Adults Who Don’t Paint: Saturday, June 1, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. Afraid to paint? Don’t Be! Learn to make a beautiful ocean-inspired painting the quick and easy way.
- Family Beach Clean-Up Day at Haskell’s Beach: Saturday, June 8, 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Celebrate World Ocean Day and volunteer to help clean up the beach in the spirit of OCEAN COUNTRY. All supplies provided.