Stuart Kasdin was elected to the City Council in November 2016 and began his term in December serving as Mayor Pro Tempore for two years.
Meetings are available with Councilmember Kasdin upon request. Please click here to contact him.
Councilmember Kasdin serves as the City’s representative to the following organizations:
- Center for Urban Agricultural at Fairview Gardens
- South Coast Affordable Housing Task Force
He is the alternate for:
- Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District
- Santa Barbara County Association of Governments
Councilmember Kasdin also sits on the following City committees:
- City Hall Facilities Standing Committee
- Economic Development and Revitalization Standing Committee
- Finance and Audit Standing Committee
- Goleta Beach Park Standing Committee
- Library Ad Hoc Committee
- Naming Standing Committee
- Ordinance Review Standing Committee
- Revenue Neutrality Ad Hoc Agreement Committee
- Santa Barbara Airport Support Property Development Review Committee
- Town and Gown Standing Committee
Prior to joining the City Council, Kasdin worked in the Federal Office of Management and Budget for 12 years. He was also an assistant professor at Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Pubic Administration, George Washington University. His research and classes covered issues related to public administration and governmental budgeting. He left the position to be with his family in Goleta.
He received a PhD in Political Science in 2009 from University of California, Santa Barbara. Prior to that he received dual Masters, one in Agricultural and Resource Economics and a Masters in International Agricultural Development from the University of California, Davis. He also received a BA in History from State University of New York, Binghamton.
Kasdin is most passionate about creating parks and open space, side-by-side with smart growth. He poses the question, "How do we design the city to maintain the quality of life, accommodate state housing demands and provide for affordable rents?"
Kadsin is currently an adjunct professor at Santa Barbara City College. He lives in western Goleta with his wife and son.