6045 Stow Canyon Road, Goleta; APN 077-170-044 Case No. 18-031-DP-CUPRV-DRB
Posted Date: November 27, 2019
Chabad of Santa Barbara New Synagogue Buildings and Site Improvements
CEQA Final Mitigated Negative Declaration
Steve Fort of Suzanne Elledge Planning and Permitting Services has requested approval of a Development Plan and Conditional Use Permit Revision (18-031-DP-CUPRV-DRB) with a modification on behalf of Chabad of Santa Barbara to add two new buildings and make site improvements. The project description and location are provided below. The City has completed a Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (Draft MND) for the Project and circulated the document for public review commencing on November 1, 2019 and concluding on November 20, 2019 at 5 pm. Public comments received have been incorporated into the Final MND.
The Project consists of the following components to add a new approximately 7,300 square foot Synagogue building and make other various site improvements as detailed below:
- A Development Plan (DP) to allow for the following:
- Construction of a new, approximately 7,300 square foot (SF) one-story synagogue with a 815 SF roof terrace (approximately 8,100 SF total). The building will include a sanctuary, event hall, kitchen, offices, conference rooms, bathrooms, storage, and mechanical and electrical space.
- Construction of a new, approximately 840 SF, one-story storage building.
- Removal of the existing 1,440 SF, approximately 80-year-old barn/storage garage.
- Approval of the existing, 176-SF, open-sided, lean-to storage container.
- Removal/demolition of an existing, 120-SF trailer and a 53-SF shed.
- Consolidation of access to the site into a single driveway.
- Reorientation and expansion of the existing 24-space parking area into a 31-space parking area.
- Addition of two new bio-retention basins.
(Note: No development is proposed within the General Plan required 100-foot Stream Protection Area setback from Las Vegas Creek.)
- A Revision to the existing Conditional Use Permit (92-CP-018) to permit the expanded synagogue and pre-school/daycare operational times and activities.
3. A Modification request to eliminate the requirement of Section 35-256 (1) of the Inland Zoning Ordinance to provide a garage for the three required parking spaces for the residence
The project site is located at 6045 Stow Canyon Road, west of North Fairview Avenue in the City of Goleta (City). The property encompasses approximately 3.3 acres. The Assessor Parcel Number (APN) is 077-170-044.
Notice and Hearings:
- Notice of Adoption of a Final Mitigated Negative Declaration and Planning Commission Hearing on December 9, 2019. (Notice Date: November 27, 2019)
- Notice of Availability of a Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (Notice Date: October 31, 2019)
Comments or questions regarding the project and/or review process can be directed to Chris Noddings, Assistant Planner, at email@example.com or 805-961-7566.
Final Mitigated Negative Declaration and Appendices (November 2019):
- Final IS-MND with Appendix A: Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP)
- Appendix B: Project Plans (11" x 17" reductions)
- Appendix C: CalEEMod Version 2016.3.2 Modeling Results
- Appendix E: Historic Resources Evaluation for Out-Building at 6045 Stow Canyon Road, City of Goleta, California, Assessor’s Parcel Number 007-717-044 (Shelley Bookspan, January 26, 2007)
- Appendix F: Preliminary Stormwater Control Plan for Chabad Synagogue, 6045 Stow Canyon Rd. (MAC Design Associates, March 29, 2019)
- Appendix G: Phase I Traffic Analysis for the 6045 Stow Canyon Road Project – City of Goleta (Associated Transportation Engineers 2018)
- Appendix H: Updated Traffic Study for the 6045 Stow Canyon Road Synagogue Project – City of Goleta (Associated Transportation Engineers 2019)
- Appendix I: Comments on the Draft MND
Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (November 2019)
- Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration and Mitigation Monitoring and Report Program (Appendix A)
Note: Draft MND Appendices B-H did not change following public review and are linked above.