Hollister Village Apartment Project
7000 Hollister Avenue, Goleta
Case No. 16-029-GPA/RZ/LLA/DPAM
Troy White of Dudek on behalf of Goleta Hollister Apartments LLC and Goleta Hollister Triangle LLC, has requested approval of 16 studio and 17 one bedroom apartments (33 total). The project description and location are provided below. The City has completed an Addendum to the Westar Village Final Environmental Impact Report for this Project. This Addendum, prepared in July 2016, was revised in February 2017 (Option A design) with minor edits (underlined) on page 7, and again revised in July 2017 (Option B design) by removing the setback modifications language.
On October 2, 2012 the Goleta City Council approved the Westar Mixed-Use Village Project for 274 multi-family residential apartment units, 88,704 square feet of commercial space and five live-work condominium units on a 23.55 acre site. The Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) for the Westar Village Project addressed the associated environmental impacts and mitigation measures. To date, approximately 76,000 square feet of commercial retail and 266 apartments have been constructed. As part of the approval, the General Plan and Zoning designations were changed to those shown on the below graphic.
An addendum for the General Plan Amendment (GPA) component was prepared to provide clarification of environmental impacts and to address minor changes associated with the GPA to the General Plan/CLUP Final Environmental Impact Report, 2006 (Westar FEIR). The Westar FEIR and GPA Addendum were certified by the City Council in October of 2012 and the Westar Village Project has been developed with the exception of the1.84 acre site.
Following the City approval, a legal challenge was filed by a nearby resident. The developer and the resident entered into a settlement agreement. Part of the settlement was the agreement that the developer would not move forward with the commercial development on a section of the site (the 1.84 acres). The developer agreed to apply for a development plan amendment which would change the commercial and live/work component to 33 apartment units and if the city rejected that proposal, a different proposal would be submitted and could include housing units or office space.
The Westar Mixed-Use Village Project included a previously approved component consisting of 12,687 square feet of retail space, five live/work residential dwellings, associated parking, and a 0.42 acre open space/park at this location on 1.84 acres within the overall 23.6 acre site. The 1.84 acres (“Project Site”) is comprised of four lots (lots 4, 5, 6, and 10 of Tract 32048). Two different designs are being proposed, Option A and Option B. The proposed project (“Amended Project”) includes the following elements:
- General Plan Amendment (16-029-GPA) to change the General Plan and Land Use Element Figure 2-1, the Land Use Plan Map, from Community Commercial (C-C) back to Residential Medium Density (R-MD);
- Rezone (16-029-RZ) from Shopping Center (SC) to back to Design Residential 20 units per acre (DR-20), consistent with the proposed General Plan Amendment;
- Lot Line Adjustment (16-029-LLA) to adjust Lots 4, 5, 6, and 10 of Tract Map 32,048 to accommodate the proposed development; and
- Development Plan Amendment (16-029-DPA) for the construction of 33 residential units (apartments) and associated Setback Modifications (for Option A only).
GPA and Rezone. The existing GP/CLUP C-C land use designation and the SC zone designation would permit a wide range of local and community-serving retail and office uses, as well as mixed residential and commercial uses. The proposed GP/CLUP R-MD and the DR-20 zone designation would permit multi-family residential development and would no longer permit commercial development. These two designation changes would result in reverting the General Plan land use and zone designations for the Project site to those that existed prior to approval of the Westar Village Project as shown below:
The Project site is composed of Lots 4, 5, 6, and 10 of Tract 32048 for the Westar Village Project (APNs 073-030-026, -027, -028, & -033). The site is located on Village Way north of Hollister Avenue, west of Storke Road and immediately west of South Glen Annie Road (7000 Hollister Avenue). It is in the southeast portion of the approved Westar Village Project. Access to the site is from Hollister Avenue and private drive Village Way.
Notices and Hearings:
- Notice of Intent to Adopt CEQA Addendum to the Westar Village Mixed-Use Final EIR; and Notice of Public Hearing--City Council (September 19, 2017)
- Notice of Planning Commission Hearing (July 24, 2017)
- Notice of Intent to Adopt CEQA Addendum to the Westar Village Miixed-Use Final EIR; and Notice of Public Hearing City Council (July 18, 2017) CANCELLED
- Notice of Availability of Addendum and Planning Commission Hearing (May 22, 2017)
- Notice of Availability of Addendum and Planning Commission Hearing (March 13, 2017)
Comments or questions regarding the project and/or review process can be directed to Mary Chang, Supervising Senior Planner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-961-7567.
- Addendum: February 2017 (Option A) and July 2017 (Option B)
- Appendix A - Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program from the 2012 Westar Village FEIR
- Appendix B (Part 1) - Westar Final Phase Project - Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Assessment Memorandum (Dudek Feb 2016)
- Appendix B (Part 2) - Westar Final Phase Project - Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Assessment Memorandum (Dudek Feb 2016)
- Appendix B (Part 3) - Westar Final Phase Project - Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Assessment Memorandum (Dudek Feb 2016)
- Appendix C - Westar Final Phase Project - Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Assessment Memorandum (Dudek July 2016)
- Appendix D - Trip Generation Comparison and Evaluation of Proposed Soil Export Truck Route for the Hollister Village Mixed-Use Project Memorandum (ATE February 2016)
- Appendix E - Hollister Village – Final Phase Preliminary Drainage Memo (Stantec February 2016)
- Appendix F - Westar Mixed-Use Village Project, Goleta DP Amendment – LLA Final Phase Site Exterior Noise Assessment. (Dudek February 2016)
- Appendix G - Hollister Village Mixed-Use Village Project – Evaluation of Proposed Soil Export Truck Route (ATE September 2015)
- Appendix H - Goleta Water District: Revised Water Demand Estimates Memorandum (July 2015)