8301 Hollister Avenue, Goleta; APN: 079-200-12 and 079-200-13
Case No. 16-002-DPAM/CDPAM/DRB
Posted Date: April 29, 2020
Ritz-Carlton, Bacara Hotel Beach House Replacement and Demolition Project
Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration
Ginger Anderson of Stantec has requested approval of a Development Plan and Coastal Development Permit Amendments (16-002-DPAM/CDPAM/DRB) on behalf of Ritz-Carlton, Bacara, Santa Barbara Hotel, Watermark Capital Partners to replace the existing Beach House restroom and snack bar with new improvements. The project description and location are provided below. The City completed a Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (Draft MND) for the Project in March 2020 and circulated the document for public review between March 3, 2020 through April 1, 2020. Public comments received have been incorporated into the Final MND.
The existing Beach House building was compromised by winter storms and high tides in 2016.The project consists of the below described components that will replace the existing Beach House snack bar and restrooms facilities. The new facilities have been designed and located to remain consistent with the existing hotel conditions of approval (Development Plan No. 86-DP-46 and Coastal Development Permit No. 96-CDP-078). The project includes:
- Construction of one new 325 square foot single-story building with four restrooms, a storage room, two exterior showers and drinking fountains. To construct the new restroom building, a 743 SF concrete pad, grading and trenching for utilities will be needed; a 65-foot long masonry retaining wall ranging in height up to a maximum of 3 feet is proposed; and a 60-foot linear concrete drainage ditch and a 200 SF earthen stormwater infiltration basin will be constructed.
- Use of an electric food truck as a snack bar. A designated 15 x 30-foot parking space with utilities along the western side of the existing emergency turnaround is planned to support the food truck. If the food truck use is not implemented, the IS/MND analyzed an alternative building design option immediately south of the restroom building to accommodate a snack bar.
- Emergency access road adjustments include replacement of a 2,020 SF section of existing asphalt, the addition of 253 SF of asphalt to improve the turnaround capacity, and regrading of the earthen beach access ramp.
- Once the new facilities are open to the public:
a. The Beach House would be demolished, utilities removed, and the site graded and restored.
b. A new east-west segment of the existing public access trail/path with informational signs will be installed along the south edge of the former Beach House building footprint parallel to the ocean.
c. A movable fence will be installed along the shoreline terrace to accommodate future shoreline changes.
d. The emergency shoreline protection revetment and sheeting placed by permit (16-002 EMP) will be removed
The project site is located at 8301 Hollister Avenue, in the City of Goleta (City) at the eastern city limits, on the south side of Hollister Avenue, approximately 0.6 miles west of the Highway 101 and Cathedral Oaks Road overpass ramps. The Assessor Parcel Numbers are APN 079-200-012 and -013 with the project site located entirely on parcel -013.
Notice and Hearings:
- Notice of Adoption of a Final Mitigated Negative Declaration and Planning Commission Hearing on May 11, 2020 (Notice Date: April 30, 2020)
IN LIGHT OF THE CITY’S NEED TO HOLD PUBLIC MEETINGS ELECTRONICALLY AND TELEPHONICALLY DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, written comments may be submitted as instructed above or via email to Deborah Lopez, City Clerk e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by electronic means during the Public Hearing (date and time noted above), provided they are received prior to the conclusion of the public comment portion of the Public Hearing. Instructions on how to submit written comments during the hearing will be available on the City’s website: https://www.cityofgoleta.org/i-want-to/news-and-updates/government-meeting-agendas-and-videos.
Final Mitigated Negative Declaration (April 2020)
- Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration dated April 2020
- Attachment A: Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP)
- Attachment B: Public Comments Received during Public Review Period
- Attachment C: Project Plans
- Attachment D: CalEEMod Version 2016.3.2 Modeling Results
- Attachment E-1: Biological Resources Assessment for the Bacara Beach House Relocation Project, Goleta, Santa Barbara County, California, Kevin Merk Associates, LLC, July 10, 2017
- Attachment E-2: Supplemental Biological Technical Report for the Ritz-Carlton Bacara Beach House Demolition and Replacement Project, Santa Barbara County, California, Dudek May 11, 2018
- Attachment E-3: Peer Review of Attachments E-1 and E-2 by Storrer Environmental Services, July 4, 2018
- Attachment E-4: Technical Memorandum: Addendum to the Supplemental Biological Technical Report for the Beach Facilities Project at the Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Dudek, January 30, 2019
- Attachment E-5: Haskell’s Beach House Demolition Habitat Restoration Plan, Dudek, October 2019
- Attachment F: The Cultural Resources studies are considered confidential. Confidential file access is provided by appointment and demonstrated need only.
- Attachment G-1: Removal of Temporary Shoreline Protection at the Bacara Beach House, Coastal Bluff Failure and Retreat Bacara Resort and Spa Goleta, California, Campbell Geo Inc., May 18, 2016.
- Attachment G-2: Geotechnical Engineering Report, Ritz Carlton Bacara Beach House Relocation, 8301 Hollister Avenue, Goleta, California, Earth Systems Pacific, May 11, 2018.
- Attachment G-3: Third Party Geotechnical Engineering Review Services, Proposed Beach House Replacement Project Bacara Resort, Goleta, California. Fugro, September 13, 2018.
- Attachment G-4: Third Party Review; and Response to Third Party Geotechnical Review Comments, Earth Systems Pacific, February 20, 2019.
- Attachment H-1: Phase I Environmental Site Assessment, Ritz-Carlton, Bacara Resort Beach House, 8301 Hollister Avenue, Goleta, California, Stantec, April 25, 2018.
- Attachment H-2 :Third-Party Report Review, Beach House Relocation Project, Ritz-Carlton, Bacara Resort & Spa, 8301 Hollister Avenue, Goleta, California. Ninyo & Moore, September 14, 2018
- Attachment H-3: Response to Peer Review Comments, Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Ritz-Carlton Bacara Resort Beach House, 8301 Hollister Avenue, Goleta, California. Stantec, January 29, 2018
- Attachment I-1: Revised Surface Analysis Exhibit, Proposed Beach House Relocation, Ritz Carlton Bacara Resort & Spa, Stantec, November 11, 2019
- Attachment I-2: Ocean Hazards Analysis for Bacara Resort & Spa, Anchor QEA, April 5, 2018
- Attachment I-3: Third Party Review of the Ocean Hazards Study. Revell Coastal, 2018.
- Attachment I-4: Response to Revell Coastal’s review of Anchor QEA’s Coastal Hazards Analysis for Bacara Resort & Spa. Anchor QEA, January 28, 2019.