The most recent City of Goleta COVID-19 information is available at The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department Public Information Portal can be found at

Permits and Inspection

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Why Do I need a Permit?

Permitting is an important part of protecting the public while work is being done in the public right of way. It assures that work is performed safely and meets the minimum City standards. A permit also helps avoid conflicting work within the public right of way. Link here to an Encroachment Permit Application

Encroachment Permit Email
Jerry Lopez, Public Works Inspector
Public Works Inspection Request Line
(805) 968-6851

The Public Works Division manages and administers Encroachment Permits for a variety of uses of the public right of way.  Below is a sampling of work in the public right of way that requires an Encroachment Permit be issued prior to work commencing:

  • Common construction work in the public right of way such as trenching or potholing in the street, sidewalk repair, driveway apron repair, access ramp installation, or posting temporary no parking. These types of permits usually require a Traffic Control plan be submitted with the permit application. The City uses the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) as the standard for Traffic Control plans. An approved Traffic Control plan provides proper and adequate notice to the walking, cycling, driving, public that an obstruction is ahead. The Restricted Work Hours Map shows the City's work hour restrictions streets.
  • Any tree trimming, planting or removal on public land, including the parkway. The City has a pre-approved planting list for your use, but planting location and methods need to be approved by the City Arborist.
  • Landscaping in the parkway, usually the strip of land between the curb and the sidewalk. Sometimes the parkway is at the back of the sidewalk. Poured concrete or mortared pavers are not allowed in the parkway.
  • Permits are required to place dumpster/roll-off boxes within the public right of way.  Normally, the hauler will secure a permit from the City prior to placing the dumpster curbside.  Ask your hauler if they will pull the permit.
    NOTE:  Storage boxes are not allowed in the public right of way.

Transportation Permits – Any oversize or overweight vehicle entering the City limits via a City road must have a Transportation permit. Oversize/Overweight vehicles are as defined by Caltrans. Download an application by clicking here >> Annual or Single-Trip

Film Permits - Film permits are required for any production filming or still shoots within Goleta City limits. Download an application by clicking here >> Film Permit Application

Special Event Permit - Any special event, race, festival, etc., that will is held on public property or effects the public right of way requires a permit. Download an application by clicking here >> Special Event Permit Application.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer