The 2020 Census is now available to take online! Go to my2020census.gov using your unique Census ID that came in the mail, or follow the steps provided.
The 2020 Census is here! It is vital that everyone in Goleta participates. Knowing who lives here allows us to get proper funding for important programs and services that we value and depend on. An undercount could result in a loss of money for the next ten years! Learn more about the importance of the Census with this presentation from Santa Barbara County.
At the March 3, 2020 City Council meeting, Council recognized the 2020 Census as an important event in the community, and we debuted our Census 2020 Make Goleta Count video for the first time. Watch the video below.
General Census Information
It is important you know that your responses to the Census are confidential; personal information is used for statistical purposes and it is against the law for that information to be shared or used against you in any way. View The 2020 Census and Confidentiality flyer for more information on this topic.
Another important reason to make sure you participate is that the count will also affect City of Goleta’s redistricting maps as we move to district elections in 2022. The City will be divided into four districts based on population and Census results. The City will be doing outreach to the community on this after Census results have been returned. The Census only happens once every ten years, please take the time to complete it so each and every one of you can be accurately represented, locally and nationally.
The City is happy to provide anyone assistance with the Census who needs it. Please contact PIO@cityofgoleta.org.
The timeline has been adjusted due to COVID-19. See below and click here for more information.
- March 12 - 20: Invitations to the 2020 Census mailed
- April 1: CENSUS DAY!
- Mid-April: Mailed paper questionnaires to homes that have not yet responded
- April 16 - June 19: Census takers will work with college administrators, senior centers, prisons, and other facilities that house large groups of people to make sure everyone is counted
- May 27 - August 14: Census takers will interview homes that haven't responded to the 2020 Census
Helpful Links & Resources
- Santa Barbara County Census website
- Sign up on the County website to receive Census information via email
- Follow the County's Census Twitter account @CensusSBC
- California Census website
- United States Census Bureau
Work for the Census
The U.S. Census Bureau is looking to hire temporary workers across the country. The selection process for census taker positions begins in January 2020, with paid training occurring in March and April. Actual enumeration of non-responding households throughout the nation begins in May through early July. Click here to learn more.
As you know, Goleta is a special place and we need your help to Make Goleta Count. Let’s work together to get 100% participation.