Over the last several years, California voters and the state legislature created a legal framework to enable the cannabis industry to move into a regulated commercial market. In response to these changes, on July 17, 2018, the Goleta City Council adopted a Cannabis Land Use Ordinance (Ordinance No. 18-03) to permit and regulate medicinal and adult cannabis uses and adopted a Cannabis Business License Ordinance (Ordinance No. 18-02). The City is currently implementing these ordinances. Information on applying for a cannabis permit can be found below.
On October 2, 2018, the City Council initiated the process of a General Plan amendment to consider allowable cannabis uses in the Land Use Element Tables 2-1 through 2-4 and an ordinance amendment to reconsider uses, locations, and buffers. On January 23, 2019, the City Council received public input and provided direction to City staff regarding the scope of the amendments. The staff report, slide presentation, and written public comment are found here.
Staff will continue to update this website page when new information is released to the public.
To stay informed on issues relating to this topic, sign up here to receive the City’s email and text notifications.
Meetings & Workshops
Information on past meetings and workshops that have been held are available here.
For a business license application and instructions, go to www.cityofgoleta.org/city-hall/finance/business-license-program/cannabis-business-license. You must schedule an appointment with the finance department to submit your business license application and fee, as outlined on our Cannabis Business License page in the link above.
Cannabis Application Materials
- Planning Permit Application
- Cannabis Uses Permit Supplemental Application
- Environmental Questionnaire
- Fact Sheet updated 8-10-18
- Parking Standards for Cannabis Businesses
Cannabis Application Fees
- Land Use Permit (LUP): $1,000 deposit
- Conditional Use Permit (CUP - Minor or Major): $3,433 deposit
Ordinances and Resolutions
- Business License Ordinance (Ord. No. 18-02)
- Land Use Ordinance (Ord. No. 18-03)
- Business License Application and Regulatory License Fee Program (Reso. No. 18-36)
- Procedures for Review of Commercial Cannabis Business License Applications (Reso. No. 18-37)
Cannabis Land Use Ordinance Public Comment
- Comment Log (as of 6/20/18)
- August 11 - August 21, 2017 Comments
- August 22 - October 23, 2017 Comments
- October 23 - October 30, 2017 Comments
- November 1 - November 21, 2017 Comments
- November 22, 2017 - January 25, 2018 Comments
- January 26, 2018 - April 19, 2018 Comments
- April 20, 2018 - April 26, 2018 Comments
- April 27, 2018 - June 12, 2018 Comments
- June 13, 2018 - June 20, 2018 Comments